Monday, June 2, 2008

The perfect print


Monday's are usually my cleaning days at home. I try to allow the weekend to be cleaning free, with the exception of pick-ups. So Mondays, my house is usually ready for a thorough cleaning. This morning I came into our kitchen and the large alphabet and animal magnets had all been pulled off the dishwasher and placed just right so that I would have to either pick them up or step on them in order to make my much needed cup of coffee. Isn't that sweet. The basket of plastic ball pit balls were scattered over the hardwood floors tempting the children with their vibrant colors of orange, blue and green. Bleary eyed, I decided I should begin picking them up a little before Matthew realized they were there. I don't know why I bother. Five minutes later (yeah right) they are going to be everywhere again.




In our new house ( I will address this in the next blog) our appliances are all stainless steel, though not as nice as my mom's new kitchen. OOOOOOhhhh I am jealous. Anyways, I went out and bought some fancy stainless steel wipes to keep them looking pretty. Mainly to get the grubby handprint and noseprints from the bottom half of all the appliances. As I began wiping down the appliances I noticed something beautiful. Matthew's perfect little handprint on the front of the oven door. It reminded me of how he was playing peek-a-boo with himself last night by looking into the oven door glass. I couldn't help but smile at the joy he had everytime he discovered his beautiful face looking back at him. I love this age.




Needless to say, that beautiful handprint is still sitting there as a reminder to me that my children are growing so fast and that instead of wiping away the prints they leave, I should celebrate them, enjoy them, and be proud of them. Who cares if my stainless steel oven isn't perfectly shiny. There is time for that. But that handprint will only be there for such a short time. I, for one, am putting away those silly wipes and am going to enjoy the time I have.




Stepping on the alphabet magnets, well, that's another story.

No comments: