Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How is it between you and me?

How is it Between Us?
Sara Groves

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, the wrong side of the room, the wrong side of the world. Can't put my finger on the mood. It's not melancholy, anger or the blues. I love my husband, my house, my job. Couldn't be any better, and really what else is there? Then I realize I'm forgetting God, and that's the root of all my misery. Lord, first of all, how is it between you and me? .

Chorus: How is it between us? How is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened since? How is it between us? How is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened? .

When I wake up I am on my way, reinventing the wheel and saving the day. I have learned this lesson a thousand times, I am the branch, and you are the vine. Apart from you we are mice and men, with our fancy dreams of grandeur and no way to get there. Oh I can think about you now and then, or I can make a mark on eternity. Lord first of all, how is it, between you and me? .

Chorus . How is it between us? How is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened since? How is it between us? How is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened since?

So let the wicked prosper, let the oceans roar, let the mountains crumble, and fall into the sea. There's something more important weighing on my mind. Lord first of all, how is it between you and me? .

Chorus How is it between us? Lord, how is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened since? How is it between us? How is it between us? When did I talk to you last, and what has happened?


this song by Sara Groves says it all for me. Life gets in the way so many times for all of us and then, before you know it, it has been days before we have spoken to God. He is always there, waiting for us to stop and talk to Him. John 15 talks about how God is the vine and we are the branches. In order for us to grow in God, we have to stay as part of the vine, the nourishment we need to grow and bear fruit.

'I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch taht does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing....I have told you this so my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. '
John 15:1-5,11

I think this life thing is too hard not to remain in Him.

Lord God,
Thank you that you are the Gardner and your Son is the true vine. Strengthen my branches so they will bear much long lasting fruit. Thank you for loving me enough to be my Gardner and helping me to grow as your disciple. I pray that you give me the strength to do your will, not mine. When I falter, I pray that you bring me right back to you and remind me how desperately I need you at all times. Help me be a strong witness to those around me, especially my children.

In Your precious name I pray,
Amen

No comments: