Friday, April 17, 2009

My latest redo project...Oooohhh What fun!

When we moved to Pittsburgh nearly two years ago we came with six boxes of irreplaceables and a trunk of clothes. We also came with two children and a dog but that should probably go without saying.

We sold EVERYTHING in our house; dishes, furniture, pots and pans, toys, etc. Our dining room table, chairs, and hutch were some of the first things we bought. We found it on Craigslist as a package for a very good deal. The set was brand new, Broyhill, and some of the nicest furniture we have ever owned. When we moved into our new home a year ago, I hated the furniture. We have so much cherry wood in our kitchen/dining room that it all just clashed. The hutch and china cabinet in our living room is fine. It looks beautiful but we have a matching hutch in the dining room along with the dining room table and chairs. It was not a good look. It was too traditional for me in my modern kitchen.
When the weather warmed up a little (emphasis on a little) I decided it was time for a change.


Table and hutch before.
Thank you God for French Bulldog Black :)




One of the coolest parts of this project....
NO SANDING!!!
I may not have done this project if I had to sand it all first. I HATE HATE HATE sanding.
In comes my "savior of sorts"
Zinzer Primer
This is the best stuff ever!!! It is so thick. I had it tinted so I would need fewer coats of the black. This stuff goes on sooooo easily. I was blown away.

I personally think the table looks 100 times better just with a coat of primer.
Don't you?
And yes, I painted it right in my kitchen. When I was finished, I coated it with a water-based polycrylic to make sure I could wipe off the smooshed bananas my son seems to leave behind.
READY FOR THE BIG REVEAL?








Oh my goodness, I LOVE IT!!! I wish you could see the full picture. I have an open kitchen and all of the appliances are black and stainless steel. Painting the furniture pulled the entire room together and really anchored my dining room area. I stand in my kitchen and just stare at my table. It is so pretty.
My husband.......hates it!!
Have you ever seen that Campbells soup commercial where EVERYTHING is white?
That is my husbands dream. He does not like color....At all!!!
Good thing he is not here all day. I figure he can live with it. After all, all of our walls are still the original newly built white.
Lord help me. :)
Well, at least I get a pretty kitchen.


By the way...I was truly inspired to do this by my bloggy friend Beckie over at
Infarrantly Creative
If you have never visited her site, she is AMAZING!!! You will get so many fantastic ideas from her, you will not know what project to tackle first.
Check out what she did to her kitchen...
AWESOME


8 comments:

Infarrantly Creative said...

Holy pajamas that looks waaaaay better. You go on with your decorating self! It looks amazing!

Kristin said...

brandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is gorgeous! i love it, love it, love it!

please teach me how to do this kinda thing. i am inept.

it really looks incredible, woman!

Laurielizard said...

Awesome job... you also recovered the chairs. Give yourself some credit for that projet too!

Laurielizard said...

Excuse me... project

Greg - the husband... said...

You all stop encouraging her! My white sane house is starting to look - wrong. Anyone have white paint?

MusingMommie said...

Wow Brandy! Great job! The furniture looks awesome. You have totally inspired me. I have this dresser sitting in the basement that I got off of freecycle that I want to redo. Thanks for tip about primer because I really wasn't wanting to sand it first and now I know I don't have to! :)

Ace said...

I LOVE it! I need to do something like that, it looks amazing!

Macey said...

Gorgeous! I am starting to become...dare I say...a spray paint-a-holic! You all do beautiful stuff! And it makes me want to! And by the way, what you said on my blog about that stupid wienie dog being called wienie, THAT.BUGS.ME. So not creative. I mean if you can imagine a dumb octopus living in an apartment, and a Daisy that walks and talks, you should be able to come up with something better than wienie! : )
Macey