Thursday, December 25, 2008

Our Christmas Gift...I still believe in Santa

After Christmas Eve service we came home to eat a little dinner and then to open presents. We have adopted Greg's family tradition of opening gifts on Christmas Eve because Christmas Day is about celebrating Jesus' birth. That is also a day set aside for Santa to bring his special gifts. Needless to say we were very surprised when Santa came a little earlier than usual. The kids were opening presents from out of town relatives when the doorbell rang. It was probably around 8 or later, although I didn't actually look at the time. Greg and I looked at each other confused. Our neighbors are out of town and they are the only ones that ring our doorbell. I made my way downstairs to open the door, confused as to who might be there. I was taken aback when there was no one standing on the other side of the door. Instead, there were presents. I stepped outside and looked around but there was no one around. The street was silent. I called up to Greg and told him about the packages. He came down stairs and started looking around outside as well. He yelled out "Thank you" and helped me bring the gifts inside.
We looked at the tags, still bewildered. We were sure someone had the wrong address but to our amazement, each gift had our names on them and were signed by Santa. Still stunned, I opened my gift first. It was very large and very heavy. After tearing the first section of paper off, the present was revealed. New pots and pans. I immediately burst into tears. Not just little trickles of tears but flat out sobbing ugly crying. I was completely overwhelmed. You see, for the last year and a half we have been cooking with one small pot and pan. That's all we have. It is mostly by choice as we have not made it a priority when spending our money. As a stay at home mom, especially in these economical times, many other things become priority such as bills and food and clothing for the children. We can survive with one pot and pan. The fact that someone knew what I needed was awesome. Greg opened his gift. It was hysterical. The look on his face was priceless. It was complete dissapointment. I felt so bad for him. Inside the box was a Starbucks cup. He kept saying, surely Santa wouldn't do this to me. Have I really been that bad? Tears of Joy and hysterical laughter was all I could get out. Greg HATES coffee, but he especially HATES Starbucks. Well, of course Santa didn't dissapoint. Inside the Starbucks cup was a gift certificate to a Sporting Good's store. Silly Santa. Greg coaches hockey and really needs some hockey pants in order to play on the Men's league. Again, it was perfect. Haley recieved an awesome set of stamps which is perfect for the crafty girl that she is and Matthew recieved an amazing Thomas the Train floor mat complete with a very loud train whistle. It will be perfect for his room because I planned to redo it in primary colors for his birthday. He loves trains. And when I say he loves trains, he really really LOVES trains. Basically, anything with wheels that can move he is drawn to.
I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it wasn't the material things that made this such a special day. It was the gift of love. The fact that someone knows us well enough to give us these gifts, takes time out of their own family to think of us so specifically, and has the selflessness to be anonymous in their giving is completly humbling to me. So Santa, if you are reading this, thank you for this undeserved blessing. I hope that you WILL know and do know the amount of love we felt on Christmas Eve. You are a beautiful spirit. You deserve extra jewels on your crown in Heaven. God Bless you! We will pay it forward in your honor.

Love,
The Kiker Family

I forgot to mention the Third Day Christmas Offerings CD. My very favorite Christian Band. Just another example.

No comments: