Friday, March 13, 2009

And if ____________, then _________.

Does the title leave you a little intrigued? Good.

I want to tell you about a life changing intense moment I had last night.

Every Thursday evening I head over to church for a Bible Study taught by Beth Moore. We are currently studying the book of Esther. Last night, we specifically dealt with the last part of Chapter 4...

"All the king's officials and even the people in the provinces know that anyone who appears before the king in his inner court without being invited is doomed to die unless the king holds out his gold scepter....Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this? Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: Go and gather together all the Jews of Susa and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will do the same. And then, though it is against the law, I will go in to see the king. And If I must die, I must die."
Esther 4:11 - 16

So how is it that Esther went from a time of self-preservation (not facing the king for fear of death) to brave determination, knowing that she would most likely die? This was all in a matter of a few sentences.

1. Esther had a choice.
She had to overcome herself in order to do what God had created her and positioned her to do.
I Corinthians 2:9 - "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." That is HUGE! We (You and I) may be ONE BRAVE DECISION away from what God has prepared for us. God's plans are going to happen with or without us. I want to be a part of that plan. I want to make those decisions out of faith and not fear. I want to be brave.

2. Esther faced the fear.
This is where my huge life changing moment happened.
Did you know the #1 most frequent command in the Bible is "Do not be afraid, fear not"? Yet, I know for me, it is the one major command that I cannot seem to keep, no matter how hard I try. Fear is probably one of the greatest adjectives for my life right now. I realized last night that my faith in God is conditional. "Lord, if you will just keep this from happening, I will trust you, I will have faith." Satan uses that. He takes our deepest fears and continuously threatens us with them. It is spiritual and psychological warfare. He knows my fears and constantly reminds me of them. He will use any situation in order to make my fears stronger and I allow it.

I want an unconditional faith with my God. I want to look at Satan and say "NO MORE!!!" No more will I sit and dwell on the "what ifs". No longer will my faith in Christ be based on conditions. No more will I keep from making the decisions to obey God out of my own fears. I will make those brave decisions, just as Esther did, so that I can be a part of the destiny that God has planned for me.

Beth Moore mentioned the topic of denial, especially when it relates to death. She spoke of people who were given diagnosis' that would be terminal and the denial that can come with that. You can't deny the diagnosis. It doesn't change anything. The diagnosis, illness, or circumstance is still there. But, THERE IS NO DENIAL IN COURAGE. She said....

"Don't deny the existence of fear,
Deny its authority and victory over you!"
WOW!!!
1 Corinthians 15:55 - 58 says...
" O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?
for sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ. So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless."
Beth shared a conversation she had with God regarding one of her biggest fears, the fear of losing her husband to another woman.
She shared the worst case scenario of that fear and the conversation went something like this...
God: What is your worst fear?
Beth: Well, that Keith would meet someone else, or look at someone else because I wasn't attractive to him anymore."
God: And then what?
Beth: Then he would fall in love with her and tell me he wasn't in love with me anymore.
God: And then what?
Beth: My children would like her. She would be young and darling.
God: Okay, and then what?
Beth: He would leave me.
God: And then what?
Beth: Well I would cry and cry and throw a big fit.
God: And then what?
Beth: Well, then I couldn't get out of bed.
God: And then what?
Beth: Well, then I'd have memorize me some some scriptures and just lay face down on the floor with my Bible on my head.
God: And then what?
Beth: Well, then I'd have to play my music really loud in my car.
God: And then what?
Beth: Then....I'd get up.
That's when it hit me. My deepest fears, which likely won't come true are not going to kill me. My Jesus will still be there. He will still care for me.
MY GOD IS FAITHFUL!!
when I was able to fill the following spaces in...
And if ___________, then ___________. with
And if _(my worst fear)___, then GOD!!!!
There was such a huge weight taken off of me and I suddenly felt unbelievable peace. Praise Jesus, I have hope and maybe even a little courage. I am telling you, there was a miracle performed in that room last night, and even more importantly, a miracle performed in my heart. I am so grateful for God's message last night delivered through Beth Moore.
There was so much more that I learned last night. If you have the opportunity to take the Esther Bible Study, it will do so much in your life. God will speak to you through the life of this orphaned Jew who became a courageous queen.
Thank you Jesus that I can stop living fearfully, that I can have the courage to make the decisions in my life that I need to make. Thank you for showing me that my faith is conditional. Lord Jesus, give me the strength to change that, to love and trust you no matter what comes my way. Help me to make my words more than just words. Help me to live your truth every day, regardless of the circumstances. Lord, take my fear away so that I can be completely yours and free to live the way you want me to live. I love you Jesus. I choose to take the courage you have offered. Thank you for that gift.
In your holy name,
Amen
3. Esther took the courage she was offered.
I choose to be brave. I choose to take the courage God has offered me. I know it won't be easy, by My God is Faithful. He will take care of me. He will not leave me or forsake me.
I'd love to know what you think. It is really easy to leave a comment. What is Jesus working on with you in your life?

4 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Brandy - Wow. what a powerful post you have here! I just love Esther and I just love reading what other women are learning through it.

My biggest stronghold - my false stronghold ) is fear. I have felt so many times. God, if you will just keep ___ from happening..... And I realize that I can't give him that type of ultimatum.

I am with you on this one.

And if 'not what I planned', then 'God'.

Thank you for this beautiful post. Eloquent indeed.

Beth

Kari Dana said...

Wow. Beth's dialogue with God was very powerful. How TRUE! Oh, that fear can just creep in and take over our minds so quickly.

Brings Mt. 6:34 to mind:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Isn't that the TRUTH?!

Here's to letting go and letting God!

:)

Deb said...

And yet another, WOW! You are amazingly good at expressing yourself. I am once again reminded of how fortunate we were for Amanda to have you as her teacher (and Marisa too, at least a little while). I hope I can get Amanda to read this blog too. What an inspriational reminder to let our worries go!

Thank you for being you!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Loved that video! Beth Moore rocks my world. I watched it on Wednesday morning. I loved the if then God part. Oh my if I could really implement that in my life.