Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday Morning Traditions

We didn't set out to have this tradition. I guess like most traditions, it just happened. For about the last year, Saturday has been all about cartoons. In some ways, it is one of my favorite days of the week, and in other ways it seems wasted. Haley looks forward to Saturdays because it is cartoon day with Daddy. Greg and Haley share the same love language of quality time. They love nothing more than sitting still with nothing but mindless t.v. It's a good thing they have eachother for this because I am certain I have some form of adult ADHD. I cannot sit still. This has driven Greg nuts throughout our marriage because he desperately wants to sit and watch a full length movie without moving. I, on the other hand, am completely unable to. I have tried, and even gotten better through the years. My mind goes 100 miles an hour and covers multiple topics in a second. I have to get up and do something or I will crawl out of my skin. I think that is why this blog is going to be good for me. It gives me an outlet for my mindless drivle.

So every Saturday begins the same way. Haley comes into our room and wakes up Daddy and tells him it's time to snuggle for cartoons. Of course, she is often not quiet through her excitement and I then wake up. She always runs over to me, covers me back up, puts my pillow over my head, and tells me to go back to sleep for a long time. Sometimes, that is no big deal and I relish the thought of sleeping till 9 or even later. Unfortunately God gave me a bladder and a stomach that often have their own agendas. No matter how hard I try, the bladder screams for emptiness and the tummy for grub. Then comes the fun part. I drag myself out of bed and grab the baby and we thump down the stairs. We are greated by my darling Haley, in the arms of my half-asleep husband, yelling at me. "No Mommy, Go back to bed. Go back to bed." I find it funny that she is sad to see me. She is always afraid I am going to ruin this time for her and her daddy. She knows how I feel about T.V. The truth is, I love to see it. I love that they enjoy their time together and that Haley can crawl into her daddy's lap into that perfect position. I love that they laugh at all the same parts and get excited at every new show. I love that they don't even blink for fear of missing something. I love that through the few hours they spend on Saturday mornings, they are building a bond that can never be broken. I love that my husband is such a fantastic father who enjoys his children.

Now, if I can just do something about the stupid cartoons. Discovery channel anyone?

No comments: